This is a long - term project and the young people are involved in the ongoing maintenance of the garden as well as supporting the project through fundraising campaigning and promotion to secure the finances to sustain the garden long term.
How the project helps young people leaving care
The garden project allows young people to continue to improve and maintain a garden space over a long period of time. The young people are also supporting the project through fundraising, campaigning and promotion to secure the finances to sustain the garden long term. The gardening and food growing project will take place at GoodWill Solutions Building (within the Right Resolution office space) and the project takes place 1-2 times a week.
The young people have been involved in all elements of the project, from the planning and preparation of the garden to the maintenance and upkeep of the garden space. The project helps the young people to gain; garden skills, team skills, confidence, as well as reducing isolation for many of the young people
Examples of tasks undertaken:
- Clear area of weeds
- Re-build raised beds and build additional raised beds
- Engage an community artist to assist with art work
- Visit a plant nursery & local community garden for inspiration for planting
- Explore spring bulbs on the internet and purchase bulbs
- Create a story board to document our journey
- Ongoing development to continue